Tuesday 11 March 2014

1 week post 2nd operation!

So where have I been? what I have been up to? how come I haven't posted yet?
Well to start off I had my 2nd operation on Tuesday 4th march and everything went well as expected. I had to be at the hospital at 7:15am  on Tuesday morning meaning I was up at 3am getting ready and sorting the last bits and bobs out. (too too early).
When we got there we just waited and waited until around 8am when a healthcare assistant called my name for a height/weight check and we had to wait again! at around 8:30am we was called to see the anaethist, doctor and the spinal nurse they checked all my details ect and explained that they was going to go in and trim abit of the rod that was causing all my pain and discomfort but they would have to extend my original scar. We then returned to the waiting room for 15minutes and then we went on to a ward to do some more waiting!
11am came and it was time for me to get into my gown and into a bed for my pre med or 'knock out' juice as the nurse called it (its a tablet that makes you all relaxed and drowsy) where I was then told I was confined to the bed and told not aloud under any circumstances to get out! A long wait for my mom but a nap for me later I was taken down to theatre and knocked out at 2:30pm.

I was taken to the spinal ward at about 4:45pm so the operation didn't take too long but it was long enough to knock me about! I was in a lot of pain and at first they would only prescribe 1 and  1/2 paracetamol due to apparently my height and weight but after my mom and dad moaning I was given dyhydrocondine and then after still being in ALOT of pain I was given oramorph at around 11pm so I could sleep. I would say each day got better pain wise but it didn't it hurt so much. the nurses were getting concerned on Wednesday morning as I hadn't gone to the toilet yet at first they thought I was probably holding it so I didn't have to use a bedpan so (even though I wasn't suppose to get out of bed yet!) they took me to the toilet too there surprise like I said I didn't need the toilet! they did keep saying if I didn't go soon they would scan my stomach and see about putting a catheter up there but they never did! the physio's came around 1:30pm on Wednesday to try and get to the the toilet again, I went but they wasn't happy with the amount that came out and they wasn't happy with the amount I was drinking either...(naughty me!!) everytime I drank a decent amount I was being sick everywhere it happened a lot and it hurt to be sick.
I had a slightly better sleep on the night and at around 10:30am on thurday the physios came to see if I could walk and bit futher and try going up stairs. I did it, it hurt loads and I had to keep sitting down but I did it! soon after I was old I was being diacharged and after my dinner a porter came to get me. my dad had already taken all my stuff to the car so my mom and sister was with me when the porter arrived and before I knew it I was in the car on the way home! to be honest I really didn't feel well or I didn't even think I was well enough to go but I guess they needed the bed as they rushed the whole discharge thing!
I cant actually believe its been 1 week since the operation though. I am still on the morphine and other tablets and I do feel crappy, in pain but I guess that's expected. today i have reduced my morphine in hope i can start to come off it. At the moment i feel like i have taken 1000steps backwards in my recovery but i see my consultant in  6 weeks time and things will be better then hopefully!
Below are pictures from my stay in hospital and my scar.




No comments:

Post a Comment