Wednesday 19 March 2014

32 weeks (8months) post op-

I'm 8months post my spinal fusion surgery!! It seems like it was just yesterday in someways but in others it seems ages ago. I Recieved an Appointment for Monday 28th April to see a pain management Consultant not for pain but because of the numb/hypersensitive patches on my thighs, back and ribcage. My Surgoen thinks he will be able to help get some of the feeling back but there are no promises, I'm actually looking forward to what the consultant says and what he can do as its not a nice feeling I have on the patches at all.. Nobody knows what it feels like to have someone touching them on there back and not being able to feel it. Nobody understands the fear of someone touching or knocking my back or thigh. Some people don't even understand when I say I have very very little or no feeling on my back.
I think it is one of those things that unless you have been or even seen someone go through the surgery and know what they are going through, you won't understand.  It's not nice at all,it's not nice to be told you may not get the proper feeling in your back EVER again. Having scoliosis or Kyphosis or both for the matter is not easy but the surgery itself is like a marathon something big that you have to overcome and conquer.
have known people to say that the surgery is not a big deal and given a few weeks I SHOULD be able to do everything just because they can they dont have scoliosis. In fact the surgery is a massive deal, I would like to see them be cut open, having there spine put back into the right place, having  long heavey titanium rods attach by screw and hooks topped by a bone graft all done in hours. (mine took 11hours !) then being told they have to learn most things even SIMPLE things again. Such as rolling on your side, getting out of bed, sitting in a chair and then relearng to walk again. Then they can tell me i should do everything like normal again. It is not easy nor should it seem easy, I think that everyone with Scoliosis, Kyphosis, Fused or not are brave and are true warriors. I for one want everyone to know that!<3
Kirsty xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment