Thursday 30 January 2014

Scheuermanns kyphosis..

Not many people have ever heard of scheuermanns kyphosis before its an outward curvature of the spine from the side view of a person with scheuermanns it looks like the person back is an 'S' shape. Everyone has a little bit of kyphosis that is normal (20-40degrees) but when a person has scheuermanns there vertabrae grow wedge shaped instead of the usual building blocks causing the person to have a more of a kyphosis curve than normal.
Sheuermanns kyphosis often leaves a visual 'roundback' or 'hunchback' hump on the persons back
Which cannot be corrected when asked to stand up straight, it can often lead to daily back pain in all parts of the back and can gets worse over time,
The onset of the condition vary from 12-16 years old but it's not always noticed untill adulthood because many people that have scheurmanns are often mislead because many people pass it off poor posture or being lazy which results in a delay of  diagnosis and treatment.
There are ways to help kyphosis which include physiotherapy and in some cases braces areused to help. In curves greater than 70 sugery is recommend.

I have hopefully have given you a little insite to one of the spinal deformities I have, so you can get a better understanding of it. In feb 2011 I was diagnosed with scheuermanns kyphosis at the time I was 15 years old I was told I as too late to wear a brace as now it wouldn't make much difference so I was told they'd watch and wait to see what happened. In april 2012 a year and 2 months after the diagnosis I had another X-ray which after being check stated my curve was now at 95 degrees and surgery was highly recommended but I said no, despite the pain and everything scheuermanns caused me, I went on for another 8 months before saying yes to surgery by that time it was December 2012.
Below are my 2012 and 2013 Kyphosis xrays so you can get an idea:)
This is a link for more in- detailed information on kyphosis.- http://www.sauk.org.uk/uploads/Scheuermann’s%20kyphosis%2010.13.pdf



Kirsty xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment