Tuesday 21 January 2014

24 weeks(6months post op!!)-

So it has been 6months since my major spinal fusion surgery, YAY!! It's going so fast it only feels like yesterday since I was admitted into hospital for my op the next day.
I'm not going to lie and say it was an easy 10days  because it wasn't I still have the memories of coming around from the anaesetic i thought something had gone wrong because I didn't have much feeling in my legs my family had worried looks on their faces, Thankfully it was just the epidural doing its job and when the doctor came to check all my movement it was fine so the operation was a success! Of course It was probably harder for my mom, dad and sister when they first saw me because they were there in HDU awaiting to see my very drugged fresh-out-of theathre body which was a hard state for most to see.
I remember what it feels like to be completely out-of-it on morphine and other meds, then there was the embarrassment of having people I didn't know do EVERYTHING for me, as i am so used to dong everything myself. Then the initial fear of learning to roll on my side, sit up,stand up and walk with what felt like a really heavy table attached to my back.

I've came a really long way in 6 months though, I'm so greatful for the little things I can do like dressing myself, walking short distances and now I'm so happy I am on very little pain killers! I can't wait to see my consultant again to see if I can start to do more as you cannot bend, lift or twist for 6months+ and you have to wait for the fusion to set untill you can do anything really physical I am hopeing I can start to get back into my hobby horse riding soon, I miss it so much, i have never gone a few weeks without at least going out on a hack with the ponies. I didn't think I'd actually last this long so I'm hopeing I can get back into it soon!
Kirsty xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment