Saturday 30 November 2013

My Scoliosis and Scheuermanns Kyphosis

I have always been a very quiet and shy person but i guess my back has a big part to pay in why i used to shut my self out from every thing and everyone.
Since my family noticed my back in 09 i felt kind of different from everyone else, i mean if being a 14 year old girl wasn't hard enough with  your body changing and that, but for me having Scoliosis and Kyphosis was hard and upsetting i had everything from the 'Why me's' to Shutting my self out from everything and hiding in my bedroom,
it didn't really help at school since late year 9 i was bullied because the other kids saw what my back looked like in PE before it got the way it did, even though i was too ashamed to tell them why i looked the way it did. I was constantly called a hunch back and being laughed at because i was different, i felt like a deformed freak, when i picked up the courage to go tell my head of year at school he told me to grow up Most days i came home from school and cried the bullying actually carried on until i left school in 2011.
I suppose i'm writing this now because i don't want others to do what i did and shut my self off from family and friends or to feel the way i did. and to know that there is people and places that help you. It wasn't until December 2012 when i found SAUK and started to feel alot better about the way i looked and i then knew i wasn't alone and since joining i have even made the decision to have the surgery to correct my back which i have had in August 2013 I am fused from T1-L2 and my kyphosis went from 95degrees to 50degrees and my scoliosis is now less than 9 degrees but my back will always be a part of who i am. So far ive made some really great friends who i hope to stay in touch withnand now i hope i can help people that have the same conditions i do.
Kirsty:) xxx

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have kyphosis since I was 13 (I'm 36 now), I was bullied at school when I was 14 but my reaction was to confront this guy. I guess that if you suffer this kind of condition, these kind of situation is inevitable, but, as you said, I believe that you don't have to hide yourself, you have to fight back with any means you have, they can't take away your pride and dignity. Sadly, I didn't do anything to solve my problem, but, if a young lady/man is reading this, my advice would be: Fight back, with others and (and for) yourself, do something. I hope you're ok now and thanks for sharing your story. Sorry about my English. Cheers from Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is certainly my first time visit to your blog and I am very considering the articles that you assist. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: does inversion therapy really work

    ReplyDelete